Because our director, Joe Brandi, will be servicing Nicaragua on the 4th Sunday of May, we are happily offering this trip for May as our second trip day for the month! On a Saturday! We hope you can join, bring your friends, and spend a day with new friends and these precious ones.
ABOUT THE ORPHANAGE:
La Tribu de Jesus Orphanage (Jesus Tribe) is located in La Gloria, east of Rosarito; 15 miles south of Otay Mesa Border. Approximately 75-80 children and young adults are currently being cared for there, ranging from 2 months - 20 years old. There are two homes on the property. The "White House" (main house) is where all girls and small children live, and the "Rancho House" is where the older boys reside. Jesus Tribe is run by Edith Palomino and a small staff of non-paid volunteers, who in return for their service, are also provided shelter for themselves and their own children. While Edith manages the entire orphan home, the teen boys' home is overseen by Benito, who serves as their live-in caretaker and cook.
Note: The conditions at this orphanage are very primitive with no heat, dirt grounds, intermittent running water, poor plumbing issues, lack of reliable transportation, low food supplies, etc. They are in a highly vulnerable situation, and receive no government help or aid, and little support from other U.S. churches or groups. Much of their support comes from the U40 Community, so our consistent giving and visits are necessary for the welfare of these children.
SERVICE TRIP BASIC DETAILS:
TIME- 8:30am-6pm (must stay for the duration of the trip)
MEETING LOCATION- Near Crown Ace Hardware - 2750 Dewey Road, San Diego 92106 (Liberty Station, Point Loma) ---
Look for us in the parking lot across the the street from Ace, near the grass/public restrooms. Note: If there is in event in the park area (such as a fair or 5k), we will be in the actual parking lot at Ace.
***FOR SOUTH BAY RESIDENTS WHO WANT TO MEET AT OTAY BORDER PARKING LOT --- This option is available ONLY to Previous/Returning Volunteers (who have already gone through the registration process, have all paperwork turned in, and are familiar with the parking lot where we leave cars in Otay). Arrangements for all South Bay "meet-ups" may be made by WRITTEN REQUEST by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance. ***Pre-payment must be made online. Note: South Bay pick-ups are responsible for their own parking arrangements. Either park on street, or you must pay their own parking fees of $8 per car -- unless you have 3 or more volunteers in your group (then parking fees will be covered.)
COST/TRAVEL FEE: $40 per person (Students -$20; Children under 12 - $10). This travel fee covers secured parking at the border (for carpool drivers' cars), taxi/van transportation from border to orphanage, lunch for all volunteers AND for the orphans, crafts/activities, misc. supplies, and a "love gift" for the orphanage. We accept cash/check payment at registration, or payment can be made with a credit card via online at http://www.unity4orphans.com/ (Click Give and One Time Donation/Tijuana).
$20 of this travel fee is tax deductible, as allowed by law.
MUST BRING: Passport and/or Driver's License with a Birth Certificate.
(While passports are encouraged, they are not absolutely necessary, as long as you bring a picture ID with your birth certificate.)
We highly suggest the following for a great day:
* Eat a Hearty Breakfast
* Bring Water Bottle
* Bring Small Snacks (as lunch can sometimes be served later than planned based on variables). Note: If anyone has any dietary restrictions, please also bring your own sack lunch
* Wear Modest & Comfortable Clothing & Shoes
* Have a Flexible and Patient Attitude
* Remember: We are there to serve, so come with Kind, Forgiving, Willing and Open Hearts
* Connect with a child or two, Give them one-on-one attention through different activities, and be aware, the kids do not speak English but still love the interaction, hugs and play with our group.
SAMPLE ITINERARY: (All times subject to change):
8:30 am - REGISTRATION-
a- Registration/Sign-In for All Volunteers.
Fill out and/or turn in Volunteer forms and waivers, provide $40 travel fees and drop off donations. If receipts are needed, please request at this time.
b- All volunteers then help organize and load all donated goods and supplies into bags/vans.
c- Bathroom break.
d- Powwow with Joe Brandi for ice breakers/prayer/trip logistic plans and carpool assignments.
9:30/45 - DEPART-
* Carpool/caravan to Otay Mesa parking lot to park.
* Park cars in secured lot (Parking passes will be provided by U40); Meet up with any Otay Volunteer Pick-Ups. If only absolutely necessary, please use bathrooms here but PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PURCHASING FROM BUSINESSES (it delays all volunteers from going across the border in a timely manner).
10:30 - CROSS BORDER -
We will take all rolling suitcases/donations and walk across border to meet pre-arranged taxi vans for drive to Orphanage.
****Directions to Otay Mesa Border: 5-South, exit 905 East, keep going and exit Siempre Viva Rd. (loop), turn right on Via de la Amistad/Roll drive, turn into 3rd driveway on your left (directly across the street from IHOP).
JESUS TRIBE Interaction -- SAMPLE Itinerary
- 10:45/11 a.m. - ARRIVE at Jesus Tribe Orphanage “White House” (girls’/little kids’ house)
--SET UP-- 6-7 folding tables and chairs in dirt courtyard;
* Unload all food donations into kitchen on bottom floor; -* Unload all toiletries and other donations onto table in hallway *Write and give each child a name tag;
* Set up all tables with crafts and/or games.
* Make sure wipes/trash bags available for each table; Put on tablecloths (if available). * Set up water bottles for kids and volunteer consumption on table outside.
* Ensure Spanish speaker volunteers are present at each station; * Set up any craft or game areas.
(Especially Needed: Male Spanish speakers needed to work/play with teen boys at the Rancho House at the bottom of the hill.)
-- HOUSEHOLD HELP: Help fold clothes. Clean upstairs bathrooms. Help serve food/move food from kitchen at bottom to courtyard lunch tables.
11:30 a.m. - INTERACTIVE TIME - Crafts, Games & Play
- Help with organized arts and crafts, games, or feel free to push the kids on the swings, or even grab a ball and start a game of catch or soccer! Don't forget about Alex (in the wheelchair), or to the babies/infants.
1:15/30 p.m. LUNCH PREP & SERVING: All kids at each table are expected to do the following before lunch can be served and before they can play another game after lunch (positive reinforcement/helping to teach discipline and structure)--- All trash must be thrown away + hands washed (with wipes). Pack up/put away all crafts and/or misc. supplies Once completed, lunch will be served to all, and usually a sweet treat is given to the kids following the meal. Depending on schedule and planned activities, an after-lunch game may be organized.
2:30 p.m.: CLEAN UP/PREP TO LEAVE
All trash needs to be thrown away. Load extra supplies, empty luggage, into vans.
2:45 p.m. - GROUP PICTURE & Powwow/Prayer with Edith (orphan mom);
3:00 p.m. - SAY GOODBYE! Load back into vans to be driven to border.
3:30 p.m.- Go through immigration (quicker process when walking across); Get back in carpools and return to Liberty Station.
We are often home before 5pm, but this is all dependent on border lines and immigration process.
ANY QUESTIONS, please message or email our Volunteer & Donor Coordinator, Dawn Stapleford, at email@example.com.
Looking forward to serving with you!