Save Music in Chinatown 6: Dengue Fever, Birdstriking, Chui Wan, Deadly Cradle Death
$12 in advance or $15 dollars at the door. Advance ticket purchasers can buy a $16 package with 8 raffle tickets (saves $4).
Advance ticket sales end at noon on Sunday, May 31. If we do not sell out, there will be tickets at the door.
This is the sixth in a series of fundraising concerts organized to pay for the defunded music education program at Castelar Elementary School. Established in 1882 and sitting right in the middle of Chinatown, the inner-city campus serves mostly immigrant kids who don't get much exposure to performing arts or creative outlets.
Chinatown has an unbeatable musical past (mostly punk) and rad art scene in the present (post punk). Neither crowd crosses paths often with the residents in Chinatown but we're trying to create a bridge for both to help out the local kids.
This special bill include a special club appearance by headliners Dengue Fever and a rare appearance of underground bands from Beijing:
• Dengue Fever - Gorgeous, atmospheric, and danceable mutant pop rooted in but not bound to Cambodian psychedelic and garage rock.
• Birdstriking - Dangerous, aggressive, and vital noise punk from Beijing featuring He Fan from Carsick Cars.
• Chui Wan - Neo-experimental, lush psychedelic rock from Beijing.
• Deadly Cradle Death - Rare, experimental noise set with members of Birstriking and Chui Wan.
• Plus underground Beijing rock spun by DJ Loud Panda (a.k.a. Ricky from BJM)
That's a killer bill for 12 lousy bucks (and maybe some raffle tickets).
In addition to donating for admission, guests will be able to donate money toward raffle tickets for a chance to score prizes. $1 = 1 ticket. So far, and it's still early, prizes include the following:
• One pair of shoes from Keep Company
• Gang of Four record signed by Andy Gill
• Postpunk/goth mix tape from Jawseybruce Records
• Gift certificate from Donut Friend
• Gift certificate from Purgatory Pizza
• Gift certificate from Scoops Chinatown
• Bottles of Dengue Fever pinot noir from City Winery, signed by the band
Check this site regularly for additions as the show draws nearer, and contact us if you'd like to donate something cool to the cause!
2:30 Deadly Cradle Death
3:15 Chui Wan
5:00 Dengue Fever
Music between bands provided by DJ Loud Panda
(aka Ricky from The Brian Jonestown Massacre)
There is free parking on the streets (try going north on Broadway) and cheap parking at Mandarin Plaza (across Broadway, slightly north).
All ticket proceeds minus surcharges will be donated directly to FACES (Friends and Alumni of Castelar Elementary School, a registered nonprofit organization) to be applied specifically to the music education program.