This workshop is designed to benefit anyone on the performance spectrum -
from someone who has never performed to a highly-experienced performer
(and everyone in between). The workshop is packed with tools that will enable you to:
• clarify your own motivation(s) for performing
• design a well-timed performance date
• choose an appropriate venue
• create an effective setlist
• build a comprehensive checklist for your peace of mind
• sculpt your performance day to set you up for success
• harness the power of your role models
• learn how to practice for both detail and overall shape
• create performance-specific criteria to compassionately evaluate your performance
About the Instructor
Michael Smolens has been teaching privately and in groups since 1974,
and coaching other freelance teachers since 2000.
He has performed or recorded with Stefon Harris (vibes), Paul McCandless (reeds),
Zakir Hussain (tabla), Claudia Schmidt (voice/storyteller), and stagemagician Jeff McBride.
"Wonderful information, a new way to assess performance...
Looking forward to Michael's next class"
- Roger S. (bassist)
"Your accompaniment and communication skills are excellent.
You created an environment where everyone felt freer to take risks
as performers and commentators on all of the pieces that we heard."
- Fabienne D. (songwriter)
"The inquiry process really helped clarify my own level of self-awareness
as a performer. Also the variety of performers, styles, instruments, and levels
in a small group worked great. Longer class would be even better..."
- Ann Blake (vocalist/composer)
May 16th 1-6 PM $95
Register at // firstname.lastname@example.org (510) 649-7993