A wonderful opportunity to meet Diana Shervington, or her daughter Caroline, who grew up at Chawton House and whose great, great, great, grand-aunt was Jane Austen. On this special Lyme Regis Tour we retrace the Austen family footsteps around Jane’s favourite holiday spot. The tour includes museum visit and cream tea on what will be the 211th year since her last visit. This historic and wonderful seaside resort is the setting for one of the most dramatic scenes in the novel Persuasion.
As part of this day trip there will be a guided walk of Lyme Regis.
Jane Austen visited Lyme Regis in England on at least two separate occasions and set Persuasion, her last novel, in the town. On the Jane Austen tour we follow in the footsteps of Austen and her characters around Lyme Regis.
Walk along the Cobb to see the steps from which Louisa Musgrove fell on the famous harbour wall and visit the inns mentioned in Persuasion. On the Jane Austen tour we see the house in which she stayed and enjoy the pleasure of Lyme Regis's views, knowing that you are seeing the same sights as Jane Austen saw and loved.
This tour is brought to you by the same company as provides the daytrip to Lyme Regis for the Jane Austen Festival. Quality & fun guaranteed!
Your tour guide, Literary Lyme Walking Tours, has also worked with, the Jane Austen Society, Jane Austen Society of North America, Jane Austen Society of the Netherlands, BBC, Victoria Connelly (author), Carrie Bebris (author), The National Trust, ITV television & The Jane Austen Festival, among many other names & organisations.
• 'One of the best day tours I can ever remember, with your particularly charming and knowledgeable guiding being central to that. The weather definitely helped, but it is also a lovely and interesting town, among the most interesting English seaside towns I know.'
• 'Some one just asked me what the highlight of my annual trip to Bath was this year. And after careful thought, it was my day trip to Lyme Regis with you. You did a marvellous job. Even before the trip started, your email with the detailed itinerary and map was very useful to prepare myself for the day. I enjoyed your guided walk with references to where Jane Austen stayed and what locales she may have used in Persuasion, and the debunking of myths about Harville's house etc. There was just the right amount of time for lunch and wandering on our own before the cream tea with Mrs Shrevington's daughter. How thrilling to see the personal articles of Jane - the handwork on her fichu was incredible.'
• 'What a wonderful experience! Natalie was very welcoming and made every effort to give us an informative and interesting tour based on our needs. Obviously well researched by Natalie who has a wealth of local knowledge and a real enthusiasm and passion for her work. Really glad we found her and will definitely be rebooking should we revisit Dorset in the future.'
• 'We had a fabulous time.'
• 'Not to be missed.'
• 'Fascinating...held us in rapt attention.'
• 'Definitely recommend a walk with Literary Lyme.'
• 'Highlight of my visit.'
• 'Truly special and highly recommended.'
Where to Meet
Your pick up point is the Riverside Coach Park, Avon Street, Bath. BA1 1UE.
Your guide will be there from 7.45am and will be in full period attire. The coach will leave at 8am. You will return to this coach park by 6pm.
7:45 Guide & Coach Arrive at Coach Park
8:00 Coach Departs Riverside Coach Park
10:15 Arrive Lyme Regis
10:15 Toilet Break
10:30 Guided Walk
13:00 Cream Tea
13:15 Talk by Diana Shervington
15:45 Toilet Break
16:00 Coach Departs
18:00 Arrive at Coach Park