Huruma Estate is a residential estate located in the northeast of Nairobi, the capital of Kenya. It borders Kariobangi and Dandora to the East, Moi Air Base to the south, Mathare to the North and Eastleigh to the West.
Huruma is one of the poorest slums in Nairobi. It is situated in the thick of Karura Forest and borders Runda estate. Its main access is through Nairobi-Kiambu road or Nairobi-Limuru road.
The village measures approximately 500 square meters and is home to about 1500 inhabitants. The plot on which the village stands belongs to the government.
The name Mji wa Huruma means home of mercy.
This is because the village neighbours a home for the aged people which is run and managed by the Salvation Army church. The home though was originally meant to be a rehabilitation center for street children.
The people living at Mji wa Huruma originally came from the present Runda; then called Cheleta. Cheleta was the European who owned the entire Runda estate which was then occupied by coffee plantations. This dates back to colonial days.
Most of the people living there and their great-grand-parents worked there as casual labourers and where housed within the plantations.
Late in 1978 the people living at Cheleta were facing imminent eviction. This was as a result of change of ownership of the farms from the colonialists to indigenous Kenyans. As the land changed hands in terms of ownership the plight of the people living and working there was ignored.