Hi! We're Natalia, Leeanne, and Lauren and we have decided to start a campaign with One Girl - an organization based in Melbourne, Australia that supports educating young girls in Sierra Leone. We have become very inspired and passionate about this cause!
Come Hike #LikeAGirl with us on Sunday, May 31st at the Stawamus Chief in Squamish. We will hike the Centre Peak (which connects to the North Peak, if you'd like a less crowded view). At the top we will enjoy gorgeous views, (possibly) refreshments, and the great feeling that we sent a girl to school!
We'd love for you to join the movement! Join our hiking team and start your own campaign page here:
Why are we doing this, you ask? Basically, educating a girl living in poverty is the solution to not only stimulating the local economy, but it keeps her safe and thriving as she is more likely to make healthy decisions for herself and her future family. She can avoid human trafficking, early marriage, and child labour at a young age. Here are some staggering facts:
- 66 million girls are out of school globally
- School is not free in over 50 countries
- There are 33 million fewer girls than boys in primary school worldwide
- Educated mothers are more than twice as likely to send their children to school
- A child born to a literate mother is more likely to survive past the age of five
- Girls with 8 years of education are 4 times less likely to be married as children
- 14 million girls under 18 will be married this year - that's
38,000 thousand girls today and 13 girls in the last 30 seconds!!
- The number one cause of death for girls 15-19 is childbirth
- One additional school year can increase a woman’s earnings by 10% to 20%!
Crazy, right!? We have a goal of educating just ONE girl in Sierra Leone, where the tuition for one year of school is $300. If we can get above and beyond that, even better! Please help us achieve this goal by donating to our team page here: http://my.onegirl.org.au/team/one-girl-b-c
You can also join our team and start your OWN campaign page with your own URL to share with your family and friends. All donations, whether to your personal page or the team page, go in the same bucket :)
If you are unable to donate your time on May 31st, your monetary donations are greatly appreciated. Please note that donations are in AUS currency. Luckily, CAN$ to AUS$ is .95CAN to 1.00AUS.
Also, donations are not tax refundable as One Girl is a new and growing organization, but your efforts are appreciated in this world-changing cause.
Wahoo! Let's Hike #LikeAGirl!
Lauren, Leeanne, and Natalia
Here is the currency calculator: