• May 16th: Sebright Arms, London - w special guests Roger O'Donnell, Luckless & The White Russian https://billetto.co.uk/hannah-in-the-wars-london-album-release-party
• May 23rd: Red Roasters, Brighton
• May 27th: Bloc, Glasgow
• May 28th: Bannerman’s, Edinburgh
• May 29th: Liverpool, venue TBC
• May 30th: Three Minute Theatre in Manchester
• June 4th: The Pavilion in Belfast
• June 5th: Roisin Dubh in Galway
• June 6th: The Twisted Pepper, Dublin
• June 12th: Prachtwerk, Berlin
• June 13th: Montoya, Berlin
Songwriter Hannah Curwood originates from the stark, remote region of Central Otago in New Zealand. Now based in London, Hannah in the Wars is a new project, the result of working alongside Roger O’Donnell of The Cure and a handpicked group of musicians.
This eponymous debut album showcases a collection of lyrically robust emotional narratives. Curwood’s distinctive and powerful vocals are accompanied by Telecaster, piano, synth, delicate string arrangements and the brooding pulse of an orchestral percussionist.
O’Donnell has supported the band by providing his country home studio as a recording base, and lending guidance with vocal performance, arrangements and his expertise in synth programming.
The resulting ten songs evoke the likes of Hope Sandoval, P J Harvey, Anna Calvi, Sharon Van Etten, Laura Marling and Smog – delicacy entangled with intensity.
The album was mixed by Paul Corkett (The Cure, Nick Cave, Bjork) and will be released via O’Donnell’s 99X/10 label on May 25th 2015.
Hannah’s previous releases, Sky Above, Horse Below (2007) and The Blind Love EP (2009) both received resounding critical acclaim, with tracks such as the murder ballad ‘It’s Been Snowing All Winter’ showcasing Hannah’s use of dark lyrics, twisted imagery and ethereal melody, earning her a place as one of New Zealand’s celebrated alternative folk writers.
Ticketing and support acts info coming soon!