The North Netherlands Symphony Orchestra (NNO) was established in 1862, which makes it Netherlands' oldest professional symphony orchestra. It brings symphonic music to life in the three Northern provinces by performing approximately 120 concerts every season: in concert halls, in the open air, during festivals and at schools.
The NNO is the most versatile orchestra in the Netherlands. Its programming is surprising and diverse; from pure and unadulterated classical to crossovers with other music genres. On the 21st of May they will play Berlioz: Requiem op. 5 (Grande Messe des Morts).
If you want to experience the NNO, then buy your tickets at the ESN office for only 10 euros! Ticketsale starts the 22nd of April.
Before the concert we will meet at 19:00 at the Grote Markt.
If you need more convincing, here are nine reasons to come and listen to the NNO:
1. There is no other symphony orchestra with such a diverse and varied programme.
2. The NNO gives you music from centuries ago that is still exciting today, contemporary classical music and crossovers with pop music, film and dance.
3. When you listen to live music, you experience it more intensely.
4. Each and every NNO musician is a skilled specialist, who lives for music and their music is proof of that!
5. The NNO is one of the best orchestras in the Netherlands; it really is the symphony orchestra of the northern part of the Netherlands, but it is also a regular guest in other parts of the country, such as at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.
6. The concert programmes have been created in a conscious manner. Sometimes the pieces during the concert evening complement each other through genre or composer, at other times, however, they clash spectacularly.
7. The NNO is for young and old. Over the last 15 years, 200,000 children have attended youth concerts in one of the nine northern theatres.
8. The soloists and conductors you see and hear at an NNO concert have been carefully selected. They are specialists with character and (inter)national renown. But, for special concerts we enlist up and coming young talent instead.
9. An evening with the NNO is a pleasant night out, it allows you to recharge your battery.