Tuesdays + Thursdays, May 26 - June 18, 6-10p
Immerse yourself in the world of CASTING. This class will cover the techniques and equipment involved in this ancient skill. In this class you will create a pendant. Both centrifugal and Vacuum casting will be covered.
In this class you will create a 3-D/relief pendant in silver, Argentium or bronze. Casting grain is separate from tuition and is determined by weight after pieces have been de-sprued. If you would like to work in gold, you can purchase casting grain at AMC or Riogrande.com.
- Introduction to the studio, tools and equipment
- Introduction to types of wax
- Begin carving
- Discuss mold making, shooting wax and casting for mass production
- Continue carving and refining/preparing waxes for casting process
- Learn the processes: Spruing, Investment and Burnout
-Discuss the kiln, temperatures and set up/positioning
- Cast pieces and remove investment
- Clip sprue and button
- Learn and apply finishing techniques
Carving rings, bezels, stone setting in castings is all covered in Casting 2. Inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the waiting list for Casting 2. Casting 1 or Lost Wax Casting (at least 2 times) is a prerequisite for Casting 2.
Tuition: $450 + $75 Kit Fee Casting Grain is not included