(First night of two performances. For the event page for the May 15th show, go here:
SPECIAL EVENTS: Join the Music department Thursday, May 14th and/or Friday, May 15th, 2015 at 8:00 PM to hear original rock, hip hop, and pop songs written and performed by Cal Poly Pomona students. Directed by Prof. Arthur Winer, the 12th Songwriter Showcase features songwriting prodigies Nicole Arellanes Escamilla, Martin Gachiri, Doug Mayhle, Lorraine Sobretodo, Michael Arteaga, Megan Dickinson, Danielle Neri, Heath Adrian, Adrianna Roda Stuart, Rhyan Riesego, Josh Cohn, DeVante Carpenter, Mike Gonzalez, John Bender, Jessica Bustamente, Patrick Braddock, Sam Smiley, Quintin Cummins, Milena Tonis, Elise Talens, along with many special guests.
Tickets for the 12th Songwriter Showcase are $15 general/$10 student and may be purchased at the event, online at http://csupomona.tix.com/ or at the Music Publicity Office 24-188 at Cal Poly Pomona. The Cal Poly Pomona Music Recital Hall 24-191 is located at 3801 W. Temple Ave, Pomona, CA 91768. Proceeds from the concert go to Music department scholarships.
Tix for Thursday, May 14th show:
Tix for Friday, May 15th show:
What is the Songwriter Showcase?
The Songwriter Showcase concerts promote the creativity of Cal Poly Pomona’s student songwriters. Songwriters from throughout the University perform original songs accompanied by producers, musicians and vocalists from the Music department. Proceeds from the concert fund scholarships.
What is the history of the Songwriter Showcase?
In 2007, Prof. Arthur Winer hosted a master class with acclaimed songwriter Mike Viola. Mike was running a bit late, so Prof. Winer had students go up on stage and perform to pass the time. Prof. Winer quickly realized that students performing original songs would make a fabulous concert, and the Songwriter Showcase emerged.
Quick facts about the Songwriter Showcase concerts
• Since 2007, Prof. Winer has directed eleven Songwriter Showcase concerts at Cal Poly Pomona’s Music Recital Hall.
• Students rehearse for 10 weeks before each Songwriter Showcase concert.
• Most concerts sell out.
• The concerts have featured approximately 220 original songs -- more than 20 hours of music.
• Songwriters & musicians have performed songs from a wide variety of styles including rock, pop, folk, cabaret, Latin, hip hop, R&B, country, and metal.
• Each concert nets approximately $1,500 or more from ticket sales to fund music scholarships.